Top 10 Germ Infected areas you Touch Everyday

You are currently viewing Top 10 Germ Infected areas you Touch Everyday

Germs, the umbrella term used for bacteria, viruses, and other micro-organisms are everywhere, In our home, in the office, even in our car. Luckily about 99% of the germs can’t harm us, but the other 1 % can be annoying, uncomfortable, or downright scary.

Most of these pathogens are rather viral or bacterial and can cause everything from a common cold to a potentially life-threatening infection.

You may think you know the obvious places that germs propagate, it may be the doctor’s office or your trash can, or you think maybe it’s a toilet seat.

But, I definitely meant it when I said that microscopic bugs are everywhere.

Here is a list of surprising germ hotspots and the easy solutions to help keep you and your family safe and healthy.

1. Your Cell Phone

Drop yourself any place that’s convenient. Well, research has found that they carried tons of sketchy bugs. In fact, a 2017 study published in the journal of infectious diseases looked at the mobile phones owned by teenagers and found bacterial contamination on all of them.

100 University students were selected randomly, and samples were taken from the surface of their mobile phones, these samples were then straight on growth eggers and bacterial colonies were allowed to grow.

It was found that there was 100% contamination of all the mobile phone surfaces with a mean bacterial count of 9.9 x 107 colony-forming units per milliliter and a total of 11 bacterial species were isolated.

Nowadays, most phones are covered in leather or vinyl cases which also provide plenty of creases and crevices for germs to hide.

germs on phone

The SOLUTION is simple, keep it clean. First, be conscious of where you rest your personal items like restrooms.

Generally, the best way will be wiping it down with a microfiber cloth. I personally use a spirit solution and some cotton swabs to wipe down my phone every few days and also don’t forget to clean your phone case.

2. Kitchen Sink

Bacteria from last night’s dinner could end up on today’s food and utensils if you are not careful.

In fact, estimates show that there are often more than 500 thousand bacteria in the kitchen sink which is about 1000 times more than an average toilet seat.

Bacteria and fungi love to grow on the crevices in and around the kitchen sink which means your sink can be a party for bacteria contaminating whatever touches it, dishes, utensils, even your hands.

germs on kitchen sink

The SOLUTION is to at least once a week clean that kitchen sink with a diluted bleach solution, soap and water isn’t enough.

3. Dish Towels

You know a sponge can harbor nasty germs, but dish towels are just as gross. A study of hundreds of homes across the United States found that about 7% of the kitchen towels were contaminated with MRSA that is METHICILIN-RESISTANCE STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS, The difficult to treat staph bacteria that can cause many life-threatening skin infections. 

Dish towels are also rated on top for dangerous strains of E-coli and other bacteria. We often use towels to wipe up spills and then reuse them before washing them which spreads germs.

germs on dish towel

The SOLUTION is to stick to paper towels to clean countertops and don’t use a towel to dry washed plates, Wash the towels at least once a week in hot water and bleach.

4. The Computer Keyboard

The bacteria that live on our skin, fingernails, hands, and anywhere the hands have been are likely to be transferred over to our keyboard when we type.

A typical computer keyboard has many small gaps and crevices where these bacteria can grow comfortably.

A 2018 study published in the international journal of environmental research and public health, states that eating above computers is one of the causes of bacterial contamination, out of the 25 keyboards that were sampled in the study, researchers found that 96% of them were contaminated with bacteria.

germs on keyboard

The SOLUTION is to simply wipe your keyboard down with a disinfectant wipe, clean it regularly and do your best to get in between those keys, washing your hands before and after working on a keyboard can help too.

5. Kitchen Faucet

That metallic mesh at the end of the faucet is a total germ magnet running water keeps the screen moist, which is an ideal condition for bacterial growth.

Because that water is far from sterile if you accidentally touch the screen with dirty fingers or food, bacteria can grow on the faucet, explains microbiologist, Dr. Kelly Riemann at the University of Arizona.

Over time, the bacteria builds up and forms a wall of pathogens called the biofilm that sticks to the screen, eventually, that biofilm maybe even big enough to break off and get onto your food or dishes.

germs on kitchen faucet

The SOLUTION is to keep it clean regularly, once a week, remove the metallic mesh at the end of your faucet and soak it in a diluted bleach solution, replace the mesh and let the water run a few minutes before using

6. The Welcome Mat

It serves to greet not only your guests but also all the bugs on the bottom of your shoes.

In fact, one study published in the journal Anaerobe found that, out of the 30 homes, which were analyzed, CLOSTRIDIUM DIFFICILE, a bacterium that causes diarrhea, fever, and stomach pain was found commonly on the bottoms of shoes than toilet seats and other bathroom surfaces.

germs on welcome mat

This means that the area near your front door is one of the dirtiest in the house. Once bacteria plant takes in your mat, anytime you walk on it, you give them a free ride into your home.

The SOLUTION is; Spray the doormat once a week with a fabric-safe disinfectant. Leave shoes at the door and avoid arresting bags and grocery stores on the mat.

7. Vacuum Cleaner

It’s all in the bag including spreadable germs. Vacuums including the brushes and bags are like a meal on wheels for bacteria says Dr. Charles Gerba, who is PhD in microbiology and environmental science at the University of Arizona.

You suck in all this bacteria and food, creating an atmosphere for growth. And the dust they emit sends those particles back into the air, particularly the bacteria and the mold.

germs on vacuum cleaner

Change the vacuum bag of the cleaner frequently and do so outdoors, to avoid the cloud of bacteria that filters into the air, Vacuum bags that feature antibacterial linings are best and are available from many brands, clean the cavity of a bagless vacuum with diluted bleach and let it air-dry.

8. Car Dashboard

Research has found that this is your vehicle’s one of the most common spots for bacteria and mold.

Air which carries bacteria and spores gets sucked in through the vents; it’s often drawn to the dashboard, where it can deposit the spores and germs.

Since the dashboard receives the most sun and tends to stay warm, it is prime for the growth of germs.

germs on car dashboard

Regularly wipe the inside of your car with disinfecting wipes, be more vigilant during the allergy season as more than 25 million Americans are affected by Asthma which is caused in part by an allergic reaction to mold which could be building up inside your car.

9. Soap Dispensers

About 25% of the public restroom dispensers are contaminated by fecal bacteria.

Soaps that harbor germs may sound ironic, but that’s exactly what research has found. Most of these Dispensers are never cleaned, so germs or bacteria grow as the soap scum builds up and the bottoms are touched by dirty hands, so there is a continuous culture going on feeding millions of bacteria.

Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds with plenty of soap and water and keep your soap dispenser clean by using spirit or bleach solution once a month.

germs on soap dispensers

10. Shopping Carts

Think about it, hundreds of people go from cart to cart every day while shopping with potentially unwashed hands.

In fact, after sampling 85 different grocery store shopping carts, the University of Arizona researchers found that cart surfaces harbored even more bacteria including the E-coli and Salmonella, than what is typically found in public restrooms.

germs on shopping cart

The SOLUTION is to at least wipe down the handle of your grocery cart before you start reaching for fresh produce if you find that your local store doesn’t offer disinfectant wipes, carry your own travel bag to keep on hand.

Are Germs dangerous?

More than 99% of the germs are not dangerous for us and the other 1% can attack us mildly or severely depending upon the state of our immune system.

Can Germs Kill You?

As discussed above that 99% of the germs can’t harm us and the remaining 1% can cause you mild fever, cold, and other problems depending upon your immune health.

What diseases do germs cause?

Germs can cause many disease ranging from a common cold to life-threatening diseases like influenza, Diarrhea, etc.

Where do germs live in our body?

Germs can live on the surface of our body which includes our hands, face, hairs, legs, etc. moreover if you want to know about how they get into our body then you can click here to read this article.

Should I be afraid of Germs?

You should not be afraid of germs, but, you should definitely know about the places where they live and maintain proper hygiene to not get effected by them.

Can Hand Sanitizer kill virus?

Only Alcohol based sanitizers having more than 70% of Alcohol can kill 99.9% of the viruses, bacteria, and germs when applied for more than 30 seconds.

Do Germs stick on clothes?

As discussed in the article, Germs do stick on clothes such s kitchen towel, or even our own clothes which we wear in our day to day life.

How can you protect yourself from Germs?

You can protect yourself from germs by following simple practices in your daily lifestyle:
1. Wash your hands before having any meal for at least 20 seconds with soap and water.
2. Do not touch your face with dirty hands.
3. Make it a habit to take shower after returning home from office or work.
4. Use An alcohol-based Sanitizer often to clean your hands.

So, this is all about 10 Germ infected areas you touch everyday

I hope you liked the article, if you did, make sure to share it with your friends and family to make them aware of the most germ infected areas they touch every day. Do comment in the comment section below for any suggestions.

This Post Has 18 Comments

  1. best cbd oil companies

    Hi there to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your views are fastidious for new people.great information on germ infected areas

  2. cbd oil companies

    WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for zinc benefits

  3. best cbd oil

    Hello, I log on to your blog daily. Your story-telling style is witty, keep up the good work!|

  4. Cornick

    We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.|

  5. Burick

    I am really grateful to the owner of this site who has shared this wonderful piece of writing on germ infected areas you touch everyday

  6. parc rampai

    Howdy very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also? I am satisfied to find so many helpful info right here within the put up, we want work out more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .|

  7. Vangelos

    I know this site presents quality depending posts and extra stuff, is there any other website which presents these information in quality?|

  8. Pinski

    I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this website is truly good. I got to learn something new about germ infected areas we touch everyday.
    I will definitely share this piece of content in my friends circle.

  9. Teja Dilla

    Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?|

Leave a Reply